Everyone has a unique body type, and it’s important to know what kind of frame you have so you know how to dress it up. If you have a rectangle frame, your waist, hip and shoulder widths are very similar and usually on the slimmer side. And if you’re slender, you may have a nice athletic look to you. When looking for the perfect gown, you want to show off your best assets: your arms and legs. To do this, you’ll look for gowns that create curves and elongate your legs and play up your toned arms.
For your rectangle shape, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Go for scoop necks and sweetheart tops to create curves.
- Experiment with tops with a little texture: collars, ruffles, and details that flatter the chest.
- Make sure you have a good bra, especially in a strapless gown. This will help you make the most of what you’ve got.
- Try not to mix overwhelming styles. Trends are trends for only so long and for a reason. Go for classic pieces.
- Play up the layers. They can help add dimension and angles.
- Try styles with a little ruching. Cinches on the sides and even a dress with pockets can add volume in all the right places.
- If you’re dressing up a pant, go for a bright bottom. Have fun with color and experiment a little.
Here's some links to dresses that work great if you have a rectangular body style:
Not sure what body shape you are? Take this queiz and find out!